Friday 22 December 2017

Rival Lines: "Raheem Sterling's season has been one of redemption"

Rival Lines
Match Preview: Man City v AFCB
23 December 2017
Blogger Interview: Onefootball
Twitter: @OnefootballEN

I tried to get in touch with Typical City Blog earlier this week and to my disappointment found out that it had ceased to be. But undeterred I managed to speak with Dan who was one of the writers on the Typical City site and as he now writes for One Football and is still an avid Blue I thought Id ask him what he thought of Man City this season and give you all a chance to get to know Onefootball.

CC: If defeat is going to come in the league for City in which game do you think it is most likely to come?

OF: I'm absolutely certain it will happen at some juncture and the pessimist in me worries it could happen against your lot on Saturday!

I find all the talk of City potentially being "the new Invincibles" utterly baffling personally. Yes, we've played exceptionally well this season, but there's still an awful long way to go between now and May and a lot can happen. We play so many games nowadays that it's bound to take its toll and a bad injury to somebody like Kevin De Bruyne or our goalkeeper Ederson would weaken us significantly.

But it would be nice if Pep Guardiola could match or even surpass the 19-game winning streak he notched up at Bayern Munich. If that were to be the case, we'd have to beat Crystal Palace away in the 19th game and we could easily slip up there given the form they've been in since Roy Hodgson took charge.

CC: Is the Premier League enough for City fans or can you do something in the Champions League and the domestic cups?

OF: I think I speak for a lot of City fans when I say I'd be more than happy if we just won the league this season. It's been three years since we last won it and if we are the become the dominant force in Europe that our level of investment suggests we're aiming for, we need to become the dominant force in our own league first.

I really think we're good enough to go deep into the Champions League this season, though. I know I'm biased but I've watched all of the top teams in Europe this season and none have impressed me quite as much as City have. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll go on to win it, of course, but it feels like we're better equipped to challenge for that competition this season than we've ever been.

A run in one or both of the domestic cups would be great too but they're probably 3rd and 4th on our list of priorities, if I'm being honest.

CC: Man City found it hard going to get the win against Bournemouth earlier in the season so do you think Bournemouth's style gives Pep Guardiola more to think about than some other games?

OF: Possibly, yes. I thought we were poor that day at the Vitality and very lucky to win. If you'd told me then we'd go on to win our next 15 league games I wouldn't have believed you.

It will be interesting to see how Bournemouth approach this one on Saturday. Eddie Howe has been widely praised for trying to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool at the weekend and as genuinely admirable as that is, I'm sure he'll be hoping to avoid another 4-0 defeat at the Etihad.

A few teams have shown this season that defending deep is the best chance you've got of stopping City and though Howe doesn't seem to like football to be played that way, the alternative is to open up and let City tear you apart.

That said, I watched your game at Old Trafford the other week and you had United on the ropes right until the death, so this could be a closer game than many might predict.




Advertisement
CC: Do you think a player like Nathan Aké would improve Man City?

OF: Definitely. He's a player I like a lot and there's always room for a confident, ball-playing centre-half in Guardiola's team.

But I hope for his and your sake that he stays at Bournemouth for a bit longer at least. Regular game-time is going to be crucial to his development over the next few years and he did the right thing by getting away from Chelsea when he did.

Lots of players have shown in the past that making what might look like a step up can be hugely detrimental to your career and I hope Aké doesn't become another one of them.

CC: Is Ederson in goal not getting the credit he deserves playing behind such a strong side?

OF: It's funny you say that because Jamie Carragher and John Terry did an excellent analysis of Ederson's distribution on Monday Night Football this week so if he hasn't been getting a lot of credit so far, people are definitely starting to notice how good is he now.

And his importance to the way City have played this season really can't be understated. His ability with the ball at his feet is as good as a lot of outfielders, he's always an oasis of calm under pressure and unlike the fella we had in between the sticks last season, he's actually making valuable saves too.

I don't think he's quite at David De Gea's level just yet but this is his first season in English football, he's still only 24 and I'm convinced he'll be one of the best in the world one day.

I saw a great stat about him the other day actually. Apparently, if Ederson hadn't made a single save all season, City would still be 7th in the league, four points behind Arsenal and with a better goal difference!

CC: Do you think Raheem Sterling can take his city form into having a great World Cup?

OF: I really hope so. Raheem's form this season has been a great redemption story and a great source of satisfaction to a lot of City fans.

He's been one of our best players and, consequently, one of the best in the league and if he can take that confidence with him to Russia next summer, it can only be a good thing for England.

I'd love to see the people who've bullied him and slagged him off in the media and elsewhere eating their words one day, and I think they will.

CC: Do you want to get Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez in January or are there other players you'd rather buy?

OF: Well, despite everything I've just said about Sterling, when there were those rumours of a swap deal involving him and Sanchez knocking around in the summer, if it were up to me I probably would have done it.

I'd always rated Sterling but at that moment in time, I rated Sanchez higher and I really thought he could be the final piece of the puzzle for Pep.

But a few months have passed since then and now I'm not sure we need him at all. He's not been in good form for Arsenal this season and I worry he'd upset the apple-cart and someone like Sterling would end up being unfairly sidelined.

Plus, he's available on a free transfer in the summer so even to a club with City's bottomless pit of money, splashing somewhere in the region of £50 million on him now wouldn't make much sense.

Instead, I'd like us to sign a centre-back and/or a left-back in January. Fabian Delph and Eliaquim Mangala have both done a job for us this season but they're short-term solutions really. I'm not a huge Virgil Van Dijk fan really but he's apparently the club's prime target and would probably be a pretty decent signing if we got him.

CC: How will City line up against Bournemouth?


OF: Pep's teams are always quite tough to guess but at the time of writing, I'd go for:

Ederson
Walker
Otamendi
Mangala
Delph
Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Bernardo Silva
Sterling
Sané
Jesus

CC: I am fearful to ask but what will the score be against Bournemouth?
OF:  I'll go for 3-1 to City.

CC: Well, what a great set of answers from Dan. I don't think anyone has been as thorough and thoughtful in their answers as that this season and it is good to see a Man City fan just enjoying the season for what it is and believing that there is more to come from Pep Guardiola and his Man City side. While Man City have steam rolled just about everyone, I have my fingers crossed that AFCB can leave the Etihad with their heads heads high this weekend. Don't forget to check out the OneFootball website it is full of football news and not just from the Premier League!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Dan. No City fans even dare to dream that we can go all the way without losing. We will lose sooner or later. All the hype about City being unbeatable are media hypes and doesn't stem from any City fans.

    To be realistic we didn't even claim that we would have a stroll winning the UCL. Maybe we would have a chance going into the semi-finals but winning the EPL is the utmost priority for now. Perhaps next season we can build the team for a realistic challenge for both.

    Opposing teams and fans will have a field day when City falter in any of the competitions, but we as City fans are already proud of the way things are going for the team at the moment. Success will come along in due time if we keep having the confidence and swagger with the way we are playing now.

    Opposing fans are furious and thinks that we are as arrogant as the fans at the end of the road. Contraryly, we are just enjoying ourselves and merely throwing back the negative perceptions that others have on us.

    ReplyDelete

tag: